We had a busy weekend on the house front, complicated (pleasantly) by the super cute Otto von Turbodog. First up on Saturday afternoon was another trip to John Lewis where we were determined to purchase all of our major appliances: oven, microwave, dishwasher, hob (stove), extractor hood, and fridge. We were planning on getting a John Lewis credit card which would give us 6 months to pay off the purchases, but the line was too long so we bailed. We did, however, pick out all the units we wanted and left for home with a lot of serial numbers.
Once home we went online to find better prices and ended up saving about 300 quid by buying the Neff stove and combo stove/microwave units online. For the rest of the gear, we found cheaper prices than John Lewis on other sites, but having to take a small loan to pay for them rather than get 6 months interest free made it not worthwhile to look outside of JL.
So on Sunday we decided to divide and conquer. I had to go into the office for some last minute Ikea kitchen redesign and to pick up a giant 1000 foot spool of CAT 6 cable I bought off Amazon that we’ll be installing in the new home. Heather was off to John Lewis for the 3rd time to get the credit card and buy the appliances. We were then going to meet up in Balham to tape out the kitchen on the floor so we could decide if we really wanted an island and if there would be space.
Unfortunately, Heather got delayed by some very slow service at John Lewis and I ended up in Balham by myself as she went home to make sure Otto could take a wee outside (He lasted 5 hours, not bad little fella!). So I was on my own in Balham, stressed out and facing some apparently incorrect measurements resulting in a messed up kitchen plan. On the verge of panic, I called a couple of friends and soon my football manager, Jade, showed up to give me a second set of eyes on the place. Our neighbor Paul was around outside so he came in as well.
Between the 3 of us we came up some some contingency plans for the messed up kitchen, moving the dishwasher to the other side of the sink and removing a storage closet that would push too far into the dining room area. We also determined we’d need to move some components of the electrical meter so it can reside in a cabinet under the oven, but hopefully it won’t be much of a problem.
Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but Heather had the real camera!
Things are definitely progressing quickly….but one month to go and a lot of stuff still to do. Keep your fingers crossed!