After completely kicking Grimbil’s ass in round 1, I propose we try another round. This time the game is to see who can make 100 pounds last the longest.
The rules (yes Grimbil, there are rules and no you can’t change them halfway through the game)
- We each start with 100 pounds in cash on Sunday
- Shared items like groceries or utility bills don’t count, and are put on a credit card
- Public transport doesn’t count either (one of us has an unlimited travel card the other doesn’t, so it wouldn’t be fair to include)
- Any food not bought on the Sunday grocery run has to be paid in cash
- Other incidentals like cab fare, drinks, magazines, etc also have to be paid in cash
Why am I going to win? Because at the end of the week I’m going on a business trip, so most of my expenses will be paid by the company : )
Our landlord won’t let us break our lease early, so we’ll be living in our east London flat while the house is being renovated. It’s great that we won’t have to live in a construction site, but paying rent and mortgage simultaneously means we’re going to have to be very careful about how we spend our money.
In an effort to pinch pennies, we’re having a competition: who can spend the least amount of money on meals for the next week?
I think I have it in the bag, since I eat less than Grimbil does, I can go much longer without eating meat than he can, and I am less tempted to go out to lunch than he is. I’m also the one who does the grocery shopping, but I tried to be very fair.
I’m hoping by posting this to the interwebs we’ll be more motivated. I’m also hoping that this little contest won’t end up like the car games we play on road trips — with Grimbil cheating and me taking it all far too seriously.